As a general rule through this entire endheavour I will be buying my jewelry candles on sale, or when I receive a nifty coupon for $$$ off or a free ring/bathbomb/candle, etc. is included with purchase. Although, on the rare occasion I will be purchasing candles at their full price – especially if they are a limitied edition items (ie. Charmed Aroma has licensed candles…. as in Frozen, or Harry Potter, or Mickey and Minnie).
Same goes for the crates for the most part. It’s an expensive thing to sign up for, especially as you add it up over time, but provided one is smart about their purchases, reads reviews on whether or not it’s worth the price paid (which varies for each person let’s be honest) and takes advantage of sales wherever possible, then there’s no reason this can’t be accessible to everyone!
My tricks to getting some decent pricing on jewlery candles and subscription boxes:
- First thing you do [if the option is there] is change the order in which the items are listed on the page. I IMMEDIATELY change it to be listed as “Price Lowest to Highest” that way I can see if something is on mega sale, or on its way out! I don’t need to be ‘first in line’ to get an item, I’m going to get the reviews out to you when I get them out to you (though hopefully on a regular schedule once I have some items arriving via mail). Besides, buying items for cheaper than the regular price frees me up to buy more items which in turn frees me up to make extra reviews for you[and me, ’cause this is fun for me too!]!
- Subscribe to those annoying spam emails. They can say they won’t spam you all they like, they’re going to spam you. Trust me. BUT wade through the spam and find the email that gets you the best deal! Patience is a virtue that I seriously lack, but if I can be patient enough to wait for the best deal, you can too! I was tipped off about an awesome LootCrate subscription sale and that’s how I was able to subscribe to 2 at once… the deal was 30% off for each one, I genuinely think that is my best score to date.
- Quality over quantity wherever possible. I aim to get jewelry that is almost always guaranteed 925 silver. I’m sorry [not sorry] those candles are expensive, some places I have to pay shipping – especially if the minimum for ‘free shipping’ is a stupid amount or if it is advertised as free shipping and it congratulates me on reaching free shipping and then it tries to charge me more than the candle cost in shipping when I go to check out[see my shipping gripe here], also some places I order from have import fees for bringing the items in to Canada…. I’m not paying that extra stuff for junk jewelry. Granted, the jewlery may not end up actually being the greatest quality anyway… the companies have to make money afterall.
- Finally, use those links that the youtubers post about. I’ve countless times used the 10% discount code associated with a couple of youtubers I watch on candle reveals. It helps them out as it earns them credit or money through the companies they are posting about so they can either earn a living or just reinvest the money into buying more candles, bath products or subscription boxes for more reveals on their channel, and it helps you out when you go to check out online. Help a buddy out and use the dedicated discount links or affiliate links! (I even have a few on this site *wink wink nudge nudge*)
- Test run before you commit! For the subscription boxes, some of them have waitlists which is cool because sometimes you can buy a past box at a slightly cheaper price while you wait to get off of the waitlist and onto the subscription list! I’m waiting on OwlCrate to get me off of their waitlist but I purchased the February 2019 box just to see what the quality is like, and it just looked like a neat box to purchase. The shipping was decent too, some of the one-off boxes have shipping that costs almost as much as the box itself (no lie it’s why I haven’t bought some of the boxes I’ve wanted to test run and review). I finally ended up purchasing a couple of books off of Amazon in order to actually get to read them at a non-astronomical price
This isn’t going to be everybody’s cup of tea. I understand that. But hopefully the above tips inspire you to get in on the fun!